SOUTHWARK TQ3279 SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD 636-1/5/702 (North West side) The Borough Welsh Congregational Chapel II Chapel. 1872-3. Stock brick with stucco dressings. Slate roof. Rectangular nave with gallery of U-shaped plan supported on thin iron columns. EXTERIOR: elevation to Southwark Bridge Road is articulated into 4 bays by giant pilasters supporting a strongly projecting cornice with central pediment and 5 urns to skyline. Above the pair of central doors, one for women and the other for men, is a triple-arched window surmounted by a moulded arch and keystone. Railings with 4 gates to central doors and subsidiary doors to basement level. Iron bracket for hanging light in spandrel between central doors. INTERIOR: flat roof divided into compartments, plaster and wood ornament, which feature ventilating grates at corners. Gallery fronts of open metalwork. Ritual fittings to east end intact; set under round-arched recess with memorial inscription. Plain wooden pews and dadoes are all intact at both levels; wall for separating male and female worshippers also intact at both levels. The building retains its pale blue, green and white rolled Cathedral glass. Minister's room to rear with original fireplace and cupboards; hall retains its encaustic tiling. A remarkably well preserved example, both inside and out, of a Welsh Chapel of the Valleys.